5.23.2012

Avanos. The Wild West Town

Avanos is a small town in the Cappadocia region. It reminds me of  the Wild West films that show deserted streets while playing an eerie whistling tune?
You look up the street and then down the street.
You complete a full 360 degree turn and the only thing to be spotted is a stray dog searching through the bins for scrap food.
That is the perfect way to describe Avanos. It is a ghost town that seems to have been forgotten and left off the map.
I went to have a good look around Avanos but I especially wanted to see the red clay pottery that the town is famous for. Avanos is roughly a 15 minute drive from Goreme and it is part of Cappadocia.  You may see some websites advertising accommodation in Avanos however my recommendation is not to stay there unless you are using it as an overnight base while on your travels to another destination.
avanos cappadocia
turkey avanos

Shopping

If you are a shopping fanatic, than Avanos is not for you.  I had to wonder how half the shops in Avanos made any money as they were old, empty and shop owners were quite content to watch the world go by instead of making any money. Head to other places in Cappadocia  like Nevsehir if you want to shop
avanos turkey

Pottery

We found a traditional Turkish restaurant, settled down for a bite to eat and then went exploring the area. Avanos does have another credit to its name, in that it has the longest river in Turkey flowing through it but I was more interested in seeing the pottery factories that I had been told about.
avanos pottery
One shop owner obviously had the gift of the gab unlike the rest of the town, and I found myself going into his shop for a pottery demonstration instead of heading to the main factories. Cue my Demi Moore impression and my pathetic attempt at making a bowl.
pottery in avanos
avanos turkey cappadocia
What else is there to do while in Avanos? Well I saw some carpet shops and a small unimpressive winery. Apart from that, don’t expect any overwhelming feelings of love for the place. There are better places in Cappadocia. I really did feel like the stranger that had strolled into town and was being eyed with suspicion by everyone. After a couple of hours in Avanos, I got back in the car and slowly left the town without as much as a backwards glance.
avanos cappadocia turkey
Avanos
cappadocia avanos turkey
cappadocia avanos
Readers – If you are headed to Cappadocia, don’t forget to see my other posts below on what to do and where to go

No comments:

Post a Comment